Given the name North Highland, the church was grouped with the Pearce Chapel congregation to make up a two point circuit. Just a few short months later, a move was made to build a church. A "Lot Committee" was formed to investigate the best location within the newly surveyed section of North Highland, and they settled on two lots on the corner of Third Avenue and Thirty-First Street because they figured it would be at the center of the industrial community that was in the works. Soon after they acquired the used tabernacle structure that St. Luke Methodist no longer needed, and in 1906 the people built the first church building. In the 1909 Conference, the Rev. Hamp Stevens was sent to serve the now stand-alone church in the growing section of Columbus. He served for four years and "was a man that every one loved." He was moved for two years [at this point in Methodist history serving a church for any length over one year was rare and considered a very long appointment] but was returned in 1915 and served another seven. After moving to serve Richland for a year, he retired in 1923 and died in 1924. But, during the eleven years he served, the mutual love between he and the church, and the growth that happened, prompted the church in 1926, at the dedication of the newest Sanctuary building, to rename itself in honor of its most beloved pastor.
|Hamp Stevens UMC|