Wednesday, January 27, 2016

It's Time To Deal With Our Anxiety

I share this from a devotional book written by JD Walt. This is a portion of  Day 18 from Not Yet Christmas: It's Time for Advent, copyright 2014 by Seedbed Publishing.
----------------------

Be glad in the Lord always! Again I say, be glad! Let your gentleness show in your treatment of all people. The Lord is near. Don't be anxious about anything; rather, bring up all of your requests to God in your prayers and petitions, along with giving thanks. Then the peace of God that exceeds all understanding will keep your hearts and minds safe in Christ Jesus. 
- Philippians 4:4-7

   On a sheet of paper make two columns. Label the left column, "Things that are bringing me Joy." Label the right column, "Things that are bringing me Anxiety." Take a few minutes to reflect and list out everything you can think of in those two columns. You have likely not done this in a while. You may have never done it at all. It is so important to get these out of the shadows of our lives and into the light. Start with the left column and literally read them aloud.
   Now, one at a time, say, "Father, I thank you for ________________, and I rejoice in you. Again, I take joy in you." Rejoicing in the Lord and in his blessings has a way of magnifying our blessings and joy. Now read the column on the right aloud one at a time as a prayer to God. "Father, I give you ________________, and I ask you to ________________."
   In the wake of this work, note the gentleness with which the Spirit is calming your being. We are empty of anxiety and full of joy. This is the life God intends for us to live all the time.

----------------------
    I loved this word two weeks ago during the season of Advent. I love it in the week that a New Year starts. Join me in spending some time making a list and then letting some things go, like anxiety and worry. Grace and peace, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment