Thursday, December 8, 2016

Do You Hear What I Hear?

   Can you hear Perry Como crooning that it is starting to look a lot like Christmas? Do you agree there is as much to hear at Christmas as there is to see? 
   For me, I know what season it is when I hear Bing Crosby singing White Christmas, or I'll be Home for Christmas or even that Hawaiian classic, Mele Kalikimaka. His voice captures the season, for me. But, the list is long, isn't it?
   Can you hear Johnny Mathis singing Silver Bells? 
   What about Bobby Helms singing Jingle Bell Rock?
   What about the persuasive appeals of Dean Martin singing Baby, Its Cold Outside?  
   What about Brenda Lee is Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
   I think Gene Autry singing Frosty the Snowman can probably elicit as much audience participation as any, though Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is high on the list, too. And, I haven't even mentioned the tunes from Charlie Brown's Christmas movie. 
   Music is so important to what it means to prepare for Christmas. Even as we think about that first Christmas, we hear a heavenly chorus singing praises to God over the heads of shepherds as described in Luke 2.
   The combined choirs that have been preparing for months now will touch your heart on Sunday at 6:00 PM. Join us this Sunday evening for music that prepares us, again, for Christmas to come. Christmas coming every year is God's way of reminding us of our need for a savior. Christmas is the evidence of God's hope in and plans for the world. 
   Grace and peace, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment