Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Sound of Praise and Preparation


I was sitting in my office late in the day, when half a dozen or more folks walked past my office and said hello.  I kept about my work of learning that comes with starting new at a church.  I am listening, asking questions, and attempting to study any of a thousand aspects of the ministries and efforts of this great church.  It is mind-blowing, and thoroughly inspiring, to learn everyday of the many varied ways this church cares for its people and this community.

At some point not long after I found myself humming a familiar tune, and eventually singing the words I knew.  I realized, after a while, that my voice was literally joined by the voices of others, coming from down the hall.  Not being the smartest person in the room (I was alone) I had to think through what was happening.  I rose from my desk and soon found that the voices came from the Fellowship Hall,  Those same persons who had earlier spoken to me were now busy rehearsing for the coming Sunday's Contemporary Service.  Like their counterparts in the Traditional Service choir, they gather every week to prepare to lead others in worship.  In this case, many of these voices represented young people.  

I returned to my desk again inspired by the people of this church and their commitment.  Psalm 7 extols us to, "give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness, and sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High."   The song they were singing, by the band out of Atlanta known as Casting Crowns, included these words:
I want to sign your name, to the end of this day,
knowing that my heart was true.  Let my lifesong sing to You.
Isn't that the chorus of every follower of Jesus Christ?  Our prayer is that at the end of the day, God's handiwork would be seen in the words we have spoken, thoughts we have had, and work we have  accomplished.  Let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment