Wednesday, July 1, 2015

I grow better in light than darkness

   I walked by some flowers earlier this week that caught my eye. I snapped a photo of them that you might appreciate their beauty, as well. God's creative ability is amazing. I regularly marvel at the colors that are found within nature. Just think of the million different hues and tints of colors that can be found on flowers alone, each created by a slightly different reaction to water, soil, nutrients and their own unique chemistry. Just the science of how flowers are adorned causes me to worship the greatness of God. Jesus used flowers to teach against worrying when he said in Matthew 6, "Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these." He saw what we see; flowers are evidence of God's handiwork. 
   But, the flowers I saw caught my eye for something else. I couldn't help but notice the direction they were facing: they were bending toward the sunlight. The very thought of that captured my heart; oh, that it would be that easy for me.   Instead of bending my life perfectly toward the light that nourishes, I so often choose to twist and contort toward the shadows and darkness. When I gossip, worry, fail to forgive, hold a grudge, fixate on money, or get too busy to pray, it is like a flower choosing to bury it's head in the shadows and turn away from the very thing that gives life. 
   We were made for better. I think this is exactly what 1 Peter 2 was talking about when it encourages:
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
   May we grow in grace by turning into the light that shines brighter than any other: the love and grace of God offered to us though Jesus Christ. Amen!
   Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment